Have Fun with Science at Baywood’s 18th Annual Science Fair!
Baywood is excited to announce that it will be hosting our 18th annual Science Fair on Saturday, May 19th in the MPR from 9 AM - Noon. All students in grades 2-5 are encouraged to participate in this fun event. This event is an opportunity for kids to have fun with science and get hands-on practice with the scientific method, developing fond memories and a sparked interest in science which they can carry through the rest of their lives. Projects will be done at home and brought to school the day before the fair.
This year’s Science Fair expands on the introduction of Baywood’s new Dream Lab with dedicated office hours where participants can work to develop hypotheses with science guides. In addition, we’ll kick off the Science Fair this year with a Festival hosted by the Lawrence Hall of Science. The theme is Build, Engineer and Invent!.
Registration is open now through March 28. Click here to register!
Here are some important dates to keep in your calendars for this year’s Science Fair:
- Science Festival with Lawrence Hall of Science: February 26, 27.
In preparation for the Science Fair this year, we will be hosting a Science Festival over two days at the end of February. At this festival, each grade will have 50 minutes to work through a series of 16 exciting, hand-on stations with their peers! The great minds from Lawrence Hall of Science will be leading the overall program, but we need your help in order to make the Science Festival successful. Click here to volunteer.
- Student/Parent Workshop: March 8
Attend this workshop to get a primer on Science Fair participation. The focus will be on selecting an appropriate question, developing a hypothesis, building experiments and recording the results. We encourage you and your child to attend this event, especially if you have never participated before.
- Dream Lab Office Hours: Some Saturdays and Wednesdays 3/8-3/26
Students can get special access to Baywood’s new Dream Lab and work on their hypotheses with a Science Guide.
- Registration: 2/21 - 3/28, check back here to register.. Complete one entry per project, please coordinate with your partner(s)!
- Hypothesis submission: 3/15 - 3/26. The Hypothesis Worksheet can be found in the 2018 Student Packet. Please turn into your teacher for review no later than Monday, March 26.
- Boards available for pickup: 3/29. Starting Thursday, March 29th, students should pick-up their poster board (1 board per group) from Room 34 (Ms. Sardella) on Thursdays and Fridays between 2:45-3:15 pm
- Preliminary Results: 5/2. Students share preliminary results with their teachers. A Preliminary Results Form is included in the Science Fair packet.
- Thursday and Friday May 17,18: Setup. Bring your poster board and any display items to the MPR at Baywood. All completed projects and boards are due at the MPR on Thursday between 2:30-5pm and Friday between 8-9am.
- Class Tours - Friday May 18: Morning classroom tours in the MPR to see Science Fair projects.
- Science Fair: Saturday May 19: Students will present their projects to interested parent volunteers during the Science Fair held between 9AM and Noon.
Student Packet (http://bit.ly/BaywoodSFPacket) Contains information about this year’s science fair, including Hypothesis Submission and Preliminary Results worksheets. Also contains the Ideas packet with Ideas for science fair projects.
Science Buddies (www.sciencebuddies.com) is an award-winning site that includes informative content with a novel project selection wizard that can help your child with ideas. These resources will help students select an interesting question, formulate and test a hypothesis and present their data and project in a clear and organized project.
We're looking forward to an exciting Baywood Science Fair this year - and a celebration of the amazing things our students can do! Thank you for your help and support!
If you have questions or would like to volunteer, please contact us:
Renee Barkley and Sophia Tseng