Mrs. Chan's Class
- Friday, October 5th- No school, Professional Development Day for Teachers
- Monday, October 8th-Friday, October 19th: No school, Fall Break
- Wednesday, October 24th: Picture Day Makeups
- Sunday, October 28th: Fall Festival 12:00-3:00pm
- Monday, October 29th- Friday, November 2nd: Spirit Week
- Wednesday, October 31st: Halloween Parade at 8:30am, classroom party will be after the parade.
What We've Learned in SEPTEMBER
- Reading: Text Evidence, Non-Fiction Text Features (heading, caption, photos, timeline)
- Writing: Paragraph Writing, Narrative Writing, Writing Process (7 Steps: Prewriting, Rough Draft, Revise, Edit, Peer Reflection, Final Copy)
- Grammar: Adjectives, Adverbs, Capitalization, Punctuation
- Math: Addition and Subtraction Number Sense, Using Place Value to Add and Subtract (Regrouping)
- Social Studies: Three Branches of Government
- Science: Plant Life Cycle & Heredity
Red homework folders are due every morning, except Monday. Homework consists of:
- Reading 20 or more minutes.
- Math worksheet- complete both sides and check your work, due following school day.
- Nightly reading worksheet- read story aloud everyday and answer comprehension questions. Remember to underline or highlight text evidence. Worksheet will be distributed on Mondays and due by Friday.
- Spelling worksheet- distributed on Mondays, due by Friday. Spelling tests will be every Friday.
*If homework is taking your child longer than 50 minutes, please let me know. This 50 minutes includes the 20 minutes of reading.
I started sending home a weekly envelope. I will usually send the envelopes home at the end of the week. Inside the envelope will be paper communications (permission slips, book orders, etc.) and/ or student work. Please have your child return the weekly envelope to me the following school day.
- PE: daily from 10:50-11:50am. Please have your child wear appropriate shoes everyday.
- Buddies with Mrs. Jordan & Mrs. Warren's kindergarteners: Mondays 9:30-10:00 a.m.
- Computers: Tuesdays 9:50-10:30 a.m.
- Library: Tuesdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Music: Thursdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Art: Every other Friday 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Links to Useful Sites
AR Book Finder is an online tool to look up a book's reading level.
Scholastic book order. When ordering books online, use the Class Activation Code GZV38.
Ten Marks is an online math practice and enrichment program. Your child's username and password for this website was given to you at Back To School Night.
Growth Mindset videos. These are videos we have watched and discussed in class. We are practicing to have a growth mindset, which is the idea that we can all get smarter and our brains can get stronger with more effort.
Common Core Standards are the academic standards for K-12 literacy and math education.
Classroom ph #650-638-2929
Email is the best way to contact me. Please let me know if your child will be missing school or will be leaving early.