Mrs. Chan's Class
- Friday, February 8th: Scholastic book order due, click here to order online and use Class Code GZV38.
- Thursday, February 14th: Valentine's Day
We will be exchanging Valentine cards in class. Please make sure you have a card for every student in the class and bring them to school by the 14th. Cards can be store bought or homemade. It is optional if you’d like to attach an edible or non-edible treat to the card.
- Monday, February 18th: President's Day- No School
- Sunday, February 24th: Talent Show at 1:30pm
What We've Learned in January
- Reading: Comparing Points of View
Essential Question: What makes people view the same experience in different ways?
Reading Skills: Character Traits, Point of View: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Person, Summaries
Book Club: This month we started book clubs in class. Each reading group is reading a different Roald Dahl book.
Read Aloud: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Writing: Opinion Writing
Students have been writing opinion paragraphs with 3 supporting reasons and examples. They wrote about their favorite book and TV show or movie. We will continue to work on opinion writing in February.
- Grammar: Verb Tenses, Irregular Past Tense Verbs, Helping Verbs
- Math: Fractions
Red homework folders are due every morning, except Monday. Homework consists of:
- Reading 20 or more minutes.
- Math worksheet- complete both sides and check your work, due following school day.
- Nightly reading worksheet- read story aloud everyday and answer comprehension questions. Remember to underline or highlight text evidence. Worksheet will be distributed on Mondays and due by Friday.
- Spelling worksheet- distributed on Mondays, due by Friday. Spelling tests will be every Friday.
*If homework is taking your child longer than 50 minutes, please let me know. This 50 minutes includes the 20 minutes of reading.
I will usually send home a Weekly Envelope at the end of the week. Inside the envelope will be paper communications (permission slips, book orders, etc.) and/ or student work. Please remove and review all the papers each weekend. Then have your child return the weekly envelope to me the following school day.
- PE: daily from 10:50-11:50am. Please have your child wear appropriate shoes everyday.
- Buddies with Mrs. Jordan & Mrs. Warren's kindergarteners: Mondays 9:30-10:00 a.m.
- Computers: Tuesdays 9:50-10:30 a.m.
- Library: Tuesdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Music: Thursdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Art: Every other Friday 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Links to Useful Sites
AR Book Finder is an online tool to look up a book's reading level.
Scholastic book order. When ordering books online, use the Class Activation Code GZV38.
Ten Marks is an online math practice and enrichment program. Your child's username and password for this website was given to you at Back To School Night.
Growth Mindset videos. These are videos we have watched and discussed in class. We are practicing to have a growth mindset, which is the idea that we can all get smarter and our brains can get stronger with more effort.
Common Core Standards are the academic standards for K-12 literacy and math education.
Classroom ph #650-638-2929
Email is the best way to contact me. Please let me know if your child will be missing school or will be leaving early.