Mrs. Chan's Class: Room 27 MONTHLY Newsletter
April Important Dates
- Monday, April 6th to Friday, April 17th: Spring Break, No School
- Monday, April 20th-21st: Teacher Planning Days
- Tuesday, April 22nd: Distance Learning Phase Two Begins & Earth Day
- Reading: Charlotte's Web
- Writing: Opinion Writing
- Grammar: Subordinating conjunctions, Comparative & Superlative Adjectives & Adverbs
- Math: Topic 14- Area
- Social Studies: Bay Area Landmarks
- Mystery Science: Force & Motion, Magnets
Red homework folders are due every morning, except Monday. Homework consists of:
- Reading 20 or more minutes.
- Math worksheet- complete both sides and check your work, due following school day.
- Nightly reading worksheet- read story aloud everyday and answer comprehension questions. Remember to underline or highlight text evidence. Worksheet will be distributed on Mondays and due by Friday.
- Spelling worksheet- distributed on Mondays, due by Friday. Spelling tests will be every Friday.
*If homework is taking your child longer than an hour, please let me know. This homework time should also include the 20 minutes of reading.
I will usually send home a Weekly Envelope at the end of the week. Inside the envelope will be paper communications (permission slips, book orders, etc.) and/ or student work. Please remove and review all the papers each weekend. Then have your child return the weekly envelope to me the following school day.
- PE: daily from 10:50-11:50am. Please have your child wear appropriate shoes everyday. If your child needs to be excused from p.e., send a note to school.
- Library with Mrs. Fournier: Mondays 1:00-1:30 pm
- Art with Mrs. Owyang: Tuesdays 9:30-10:30 am
- Computers with Mr. Oxendine: Tuesdays 1:00-1:40 pm
- Music: Thursdays 2:00-2:30pm
- Buddies with Mrs. Jordan & Mrs. Warren's kindergarteners: Fridays 9:30-10:00 a.m.
Links to Useful Sites
AR Book Finder is an online tool to look up a book's reading level.
Scholastic book order. When ordering books online, use the Class Activation Code GZV38.
*Your child's username and passwords for BrainPop Jr., RazKids, IXL, and Moby Max are all the same.
BrainPopJr. offers animated educational videos that cover a variety of subject areas.
RAZ Kids is an interactive online reading program. It offers leveled e-books that are accompanied with reading comprehension questions. Instructions and passwords were given to you at Back To School Night. Teacher username: chan27.
IXL is an online math and language arts practice program.
MobyMax provides an online curriculum and is tailored to your child's individual needs. Our school code is ca633.
Growth Mindset videos. These are videos we have watched and discussed in class. We are practicing to have a growth mindset, which is the idea that we can all get smarter and our brains can get stronger with more effort.
Common Core Standards are the academic standards for K-12 literacy and math education.
Classroom ph #650-638-2929
*Email is the best way to contact me. Please let me know if your child will be missing school or will be leaving early.
*Please have your child bring an extra sweatshirt or jacket to school. Our classroom can get quite cool even when the air conditioning is off.