Mrs. Chan's Class
CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress) will begin begin this month. There will be an English Language Arts (ELA) and Math section for this standardized test. The following are the testing days for the 3rd graders:
Monday, May 14th & Tuesday, May 15th
Wednesday, May 30th & Thursday, May 31st
Monday, June 4th to Wednesday, June 6th
Please help your child at home during these testing days by making sure they:
- Have a good night’s sleep each night, 9 to 11 hours.
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Get to school on time
- Stay positive
- Do their personal best
* Giving your child a pep talk the morning of testing days can go a long way.
Red homework folders are due every morning, except Monday.
- Read 20-30 minutes. Please write the book title on your homework sheet on a daily basis. Remember to spell the title correctly and use capital letters.
- Math worksheet- complete both sides and check your work.
- Take a practice spelling test at home on Thursday. There will be a spelling test on Friday.
* Please return your library books to school by Tuesday.
Weekly Spelling Words
Prefixes: dis- & un-
What We're Learning in May
Reading: Unit 9 Spending Time and Money
Essential Question: What do our economic choices tell us about ourselves?
- Identify main idea and key details
- Summarize key story events
- Analyze text connections
- Analyze author's purpose
- Using context clues
- Compare and contrast informational and literary test
- Analyze how text and illustrations convey characters
- Determine Theme
Writing: Opinion Writing
Planning, drafting, revising, and editing our writing
Language: Parts of Speech, Compound & Complex Sentences
Math:Topic 16 Data & Math Review
Science: Energy, Light, and Matter
Links to Useful Sites
AR Book Finder is an online tool to look up a book's reading level.
Scholastic book order. When ordering books online, use the Class Activation Code GZV38.
Ten Marks is an online math practice and enrichment program. Your child's username and password for this website was given to you at Back To School Night.
Growth Mindset videos. These are videos we have watched and discussed in class. We are practicing to have a growth mindset, which is the idea that we can all get smarter and our brains can get stronger with more effort.
Common Core Standards are the academic standards for K-12 literacy and math education.
Classroom ph #650-638-2929