Mrs. Chan's Class
• Thursday, May 23rd: Art Show & Open House. The Art Show will be from 6:00-7:30pm in the MPR. The classrooms will be open from 6:30-7:30 pm.
• Friday, May 24th: Minimum day at school, dismissal at 12:35pm
• Monday, May 27th: Memorial Day, No school
• Tuesday, May 28th- Friday, May 31st: 3rd Grade CAASPP Test, English Language Arts section
• Monday, June 3rd- Friday, June 7th: 3rd Grade CAASPP Test, Math section
(California Assessment of Student Performance & Progress)
Third grade students will be taking the Language Arts and Math state tests during the weeks of May 28th – June 7th.
Please make sure your child gets a full night’s sleep (10 hours) and eats a healthy breakfast.
We will begin testing first thing in the morning, so please make sure your child is on time to school.
Please avoid absences and appointments during this time.
Results from this testing will be sent to you over the summer.
What We've Learned in April & May
• Close Reading: Weather & Climate
- Essential Question: How can we predict the unknown?
- Reading Skills: Key Details & Main Idea, Cause & Effect, Compare & Contrast
• Book Club: Finished reading Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
• Writing: Poetry
• Grammar Review: Abstract Nouns, Possessive Nouns, Past Tense Verbs, Compound & Complex Sentences, Comparatives & Superlatives
• Math: Area, Liquid Volume & Mass, Data
• Science: Marine Science & Magnets
Red homework folders are due every morning, except Monday. Homework consists of:
- Reading 20 or more minutes.
- Math worksheet- complete both sides and check your work, due following school day.
- Nightly reading worksheet- read story aloud everyday and answer comprehension questions. Remember to underline or highlight text evidence. Worksheet will be distributed on Mondays and due by Friday.
- Spelling worksheet- distributed on Mondays, due by Friday. Spelling tests will be every Friday.
*If homework is taking your child longer than 50 minutes, please let me know. This 50 minutes includes the 20 minutes of reading.
I will usually send home a Weekly Envelope at the end of the week. Inside the envelope will be paper communications (permission slips, book orders, etc.) and/ or student work. Please remove and review all the papers each weekend. Then have your child return the weekly envelope to me the following school day.
- PE: daily from 10:50-11:50am. Please have your child wear appropriate shoes everyday.
- Buddies with Mrs. Jordan & Mrs. Warren's kindergarteners: Mondays 9:30-10:00 a.m.
- Computers: Tuesdays 9:50-10:30 a.m.
- Library: Tuesdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Music: Thursdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Art: Every other Friday 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Links to Useful Sites
AR Book Finder is an online tool to look up a book's reading level.
Scholastic book order. When ordering books online, use the Class Activation Code GZV38.
Ten Marks is an online math practice and enrichment program. Your child's username and password for this website was given to you at Back To School Night.
Growth Mindset videos. These are videos we have watched and discussed in class. We are practicing to have a growth mindset, which is the idea that we can all get smarter and our brains can get stronger with more effort.
Common Core Standards are the academic standards for K-12 literacy and math education.
Classroom ph #650-638-2929
Email is the best way to contact me. Please let me know if your child will be missing school or will be leaving early.