Mrs. Chan's Class: Room 27 MONTHLY Newsletter
March Important Dates
- Wednesday, March 4th: Raffle tickets due and Baywood on-line auction begins.
- Thursday, March 5th at 6:00pm in the MPR: Science Fair Student/ Parent Information Night. Click here for more information about the Science Fair.
- Thursday, March 12th from 9:15am-12:30pm: Woodside Store Field Trip
- Friday, March 13th: Teacher Professional Development Day- No School
- Friday, March 27th: Report cards will be sent home
- Saturday, March 28th: Last day to register for the Science Fair
*Each Close Reading unit we have an essential question that we discuss with the stories in the booklet. We also apply a variety of reading strategies when looking at these texts in depth. Each month I will list the Close Reading Unit, Essential Question, Texts for Close Reading, and the Reading Strategies.
- Close Reading: Unit 10 Forces & Interactions (Non-Fiction)
- Essential Question: How does understanding science help us achieve our goals?
- Texts for Close Reading: "The Swing and the Wind", "What Makes Things Move", "The Great Tug of War", "Investigate Magnetism"
- Reading Strategies: Identifying main idea & key details, questioning
- Book Clubs: Each reading group is reading a different Roald Dahl book.
- Read Aloud: Kid in Chief by Paul Maguire
- Writing: Paragraphs & Opinion Writing
- Grammar: Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement, Simple, Compound, & Complex Sentences, Capitalizing Titles, Punctuating Dialogue
- Math: Topic 12- Telling Time & Elapsed Time, Topic 13- Perimeter
- Social Studies: Bay Area History
- Mystery Science: Invisible Forces (Balanced & Unbalanced Forces, Balanced Forces & Engineering, Friction & Pattern of Motion, Magnets & Forces, Magnets & Engineering)
Red homework folders are due every morning, except Monday. Homework consists of:
- Reading 20 or more minutes.
- Math worksheet- complete both sides and check your work, due following school day.
- Nightly reading worksheet- read story aloud everyday and answer comprehension questions. Remember to underline or highlight text evidence. Worksheet will be distributed on Mondays and due by Friday.
- Spelling worksheet- distributed on Mondays, due by Friday. Spelling tests will be every Friday.
*If homework is taking your child longer than an hour, please let me know. This homework time should also include the 20 minutes of reading.
I will usually send home a Weekly Envelope at the end of the week. Inside the envelope will be paper communications (permission slips, book orders, etc.) and/ or student work. Please remove and review all the papers each weekend. Then have your child return the weekly envelope to me the following school day.
- PE: daily from 10:50-11:50am. Please have your child wear appropriate shoes everyday. If your child needs to be excused from p.e., send a note to school.
- Library with Mrs. Fournier: Mondays 1:00-1:30 pm
- Art with Mrs. Owyang: Tuesdays 9:30-10:30 am
- Computers with Mr. Oxendine: Tuesdays 1:00-1:40 pm
- Music: Thursdays 2:00-2:30pm
- Buddies with Mrs. Jordan & Mrs. Warren's kindergarteners: Fridays 9:30-10:00 a.m.
Links to Useful Sites
AR Book Finder is an online tool to look up a book's reading level.
Scholastic book order. When ordering books online, use the Class Activation Code GZV38.
*Your child's username and passwords for BrainPop Jr., RazKids, IXL, and Moby Max are all the same.
BrainPopJr. offers animated educational videos that cover a variety of subject areas.
RAZ Kids is an interactive online reading program. It offers leveled e-books that are accompanied with reading comprehension questions. Instructions and passwords were given to you at Back To School Night. Teacher username: chan27.
IXL is an online math and language arts practice program.
MobyMax provides an online curriculum and is tailored to your child's individual needs. Our school code is ca633.
Growth Mindset videos. These are videos we have watched and discussed in class. We are practicing to have a growth mindset, which is the idea that we can all get smarter and our brains can get stronger with more effort.
Common Core Standards are the academic standards for K-12 literacy and math education.
Classroom ph #650-638-2929
*Email is the best way to contact me. Please let me know if your child will be missing school or will be leaving early.
*Please have your child bring an extra sweatshirt or jacket to school. Our classroom can get quite cool even when the air conditioning is off.