Mrs. Chan's Class
- Friday, April 26th: 3rd Grade Movie Night 7:00-8:50pm in the MPR. Please RSVP by Wednesday, April 24th. We will be watching the movie "Epic" and providing snacks & water. This is a PTA fundraiser and the cost is $25. Students can wear their PJs, bring a sleeping bag, pillow, and/ or their favorite stuffed animal
- Tuesday, April 30th: Marine Science Institute Field Trip. Please pack a snack. Also wear comfortable clothes and shoes you don't mind getting dirty.
What We've Learned in March & April
- Close Reading: Making Decisions (Analyzing fables & folktales)
Essential Question: What helps us solve problems?
Reading Skills: Inferring, character traits, theme, lesson
- Book Club: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
- Writing: Fractured Fairy Tales
- Grammar: Subject & Verb Agreement, Pronouns & Antecedents, Sentences, Capitalizing Titles, Dialogue, Abstract & Concrete Nouns
- Math: Perimeter & Area
- Social Studies: Bay Area History
- Science: Invisible Forces & Marine Science
Red homework folders are due every morning, except Monday. Homework consists of:
- Reading 20 or more minutes.
- Math worksheet- complete both sides and check your work, due following school day.
- Nightly reading worksheet- read story aloud everyday and answer comprehension questions. Remember to underline or highlight text evidence. Worksheet will be distributed on Mondays and due by Friday.
- Spelling worksheet- distributed on Mondays, due by Friday. Spelling tests will be every Friday.
*If homework is taking your child longer than 50 minutes, please let me know. This 50 minutes includes the 20 minutes of reading.
I will usually send home a Weekly Envelope at the end of the week. Inside the envelope will be paper communications (permission slips, book orders, etc.) and/ or student work. Please remove and review all the papers each weekend. Then have your child return the weekly envelope to me the following school day.
- PE: daily from 10:50-11:50am. Please have your child wear appropriate shoes everyday.
- Buddies with Mrs. Jordan & Mrs. Warren's kindergarteners: Mondays 9:30-10:00 a.m.
- Computers: Tuesdays 9:50-10:30 a.m.
- Library: Tuesdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Music: Thursdays 2:05-2:35 p.m.
- Art: Every other Friday 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Links to Useful Sites
AR Book Finder is an online tool to look up a book's reading level.
Scholastic book order. When ordering books online, use the Class Activation Code GZV38.
Ten Marks is an online math practice and enrichment program. Your child's username and password for this website was given to you at Back To School Night.
Growth Mindset videos. These are videos we have watched and discussed in class. We are practicing to have a growth mindset, which is the idea that we can all get smarter and our brains can get stronger with more effort.
Common Core Standards are the academic standards for K-12 literacy and math education.
Classroom ph #650-638-2929
Email is the best way to contact me. Please let me know if your child will be missing school or will be leaving early.