School Bus Rules
The following bus transportation rules have been established by the district for the safety of our students. Parents are requested to review these rules with their children.
Citations will be issued by the bus driver for any violations listed below and a notice will be forwarded to the family from school:
- Any improper bus stop procedures (not lining up, rock throwing, playing in the street, any property damage at the bus stop, etc.)
- Using other than the student's regularly designated bus stop.
- Fighting at bus stop or on bus.
- Scuffling or excessive horseplay (hitting, poking, shoving, etc.) in or while loading or unloaded the bus.
- Using profane or obscene language or gestures.
- Any movement from seats while bus is in motion.
- Any seat saving or obstruction of aisles or any turning around in seats.
- Unauthorized exits from emergency doors or windows.
- Putting any part of body out of bus windows at any time.
- Throwing any object on, or out of, or at bus.
- Any damage or defacing of bus.
- Unauthorized opening, closing, or tampering of any kind with bus controls, equipment, doors, windows or exits.
- Creating excessive noise.
- Eating, drinking, or littering of any sort on the bus.
- Lighting of matches, cigarettes or smoking on bus.
- Transporting live animals, reptiles, or insects on a school bus.
- Disrespect or failure to obey bus driver.
- Carrying any weapon or hazardous materials that may endanger lives.
- Riding bus after receiving a suspension of bus riding privilege.
- Other unauthorized action.
Authority of Driver (Section 6-5CAC 14105 and 13-CAC 1217(h)) states: "Pupils transported in a school bus and/or SamTrans shall be under the authority of, and responsible directly to, the driver of the bus, and the driver shall be held responsible for the orderly conduct of the pupils while they are on the bus. Bad conduct or refusal to submit to the authority of the driver shall be sufficient reason for a pupil to be denied transportation. The driver of the school bus shall not eject any school pupil unless the pupil is given into the custody of a parent or any person designated by the parent or school."
Penalties for infractions of established rules are listed below:
- 1st citation - Warning of possible bus riding suspension
- 2nd citation - One week bus riding suspension (5 school days)
- 3rd citation - One month bus riding suspension (20 school days)
- 4th citation - Balance-of-year bus riding suspension
Immediate suspension for the duration of the school year for threatened or actual bodily harm.